POSITION POSTING # 1930
- SERVICE AREA: Community Services
- LOCATION: Kerry’s Place Central Region – Peel/ Halton Region
- POSITION STATUS: Temporary Full-Time (Contract to July 5, 2019; two weeks written notice prior to contract end date)
- HOURS OF WORK: 37.5 hours per week (Days, Evenings; Flexibility required)
- HOURLY PAY RATE: $21.02 – $26.27 per hour
CLOSING DATE: 4:30pm, June 19, 2018
POSITION SUMMARY: Reporting to the Manager of Community Supports, the Autism Consultant is responsible for providing support to individuals with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD), their families and communities. A key factor of this role also includes community capacity development to assist families and communities to gain the understanding and skills to assist individuals with ASD in all aspects of family and community life.
Kerry’s Place offers a competitive overall compensation package for our full time permanent employees which includes but is not limited to: paid Vacation; paid Personal Emergency Leave; and additional paid Flexible time; employer paid group Health and Dental benefits; and the employer matched Pension Plan. We also provide developmental and training opportunities such as Nonviolent Crisis Intervention (CPI), Autism Spectrum Disorder specific training, CPR/First Aid etc.
- Support the Community Services Practices to support Kerry’s Place Mission Statement, Vision and Values Statements.
- Support provided by the Autism Consultant includes a wide range of services including consultation support to individuals, families, agencies, community groups, workshop development and presentation, intake role and direct support in various capacities.
- Support in family support roles such as Family Support Groups, Sibling Groups, and social groups for children and adults.
- Will work collaboratively with various agencies and community groups as well as working supportively with the community services team.
- Service coordination support either formally or informally.
- Direct support to individuals with ASD including 1:1 teaching sessions, groups, workshops, and the development and implementation of teaching strategies in the various environments (i.e. home, school, community, resource centre).
- Liaison with families and community groups and partner agencies in a professional fashion.
- Community capacity building through formal and informal means such as development and provision of workshops for families and community agencies, educating, modeling and supporting others to gain the understanding of individuals with ASD and successful support approaches.
- This position supports children, youth and adults.
The successful candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- Post-secondary education in Human / Social Services and a minimum 1 year experience working with individuals with Autism Spectrum Disorder/developmental disabilities in a community based setting as well as experience working closely with families and with community agencies.
- Minimum 1 year experience working with individuals with Autism Spectrum Disorder/ developmental disabilities in a community based setting as well as experience working closely with families and with community agencies.
- Strong knowledge of and experience supporting individuals with ASD in community settings.
- Strong understanding of the principles of supporting individuals within the family unit and within their community is required.
- Good knowledge of respective communities and formal and informal resources.
- Understanding of basic family dynamics including grief processes, sibling issues, and importance of family and support for long term family capacity.
- Basic understanding of Child and Family Services Act and The Services and Supports to Promote the Social Inclusion of Persons with Developmental Disabilities Act and responsibilities through these.
- Knowledge and practical experience with support approaches often found to be helpful in support to children and adults with ASD (i.e. social stories/sensory needs/communication aids/applied behaviour analysis/environmental modifications).
- Ability to develop and implement support approaches, model these approaches to family members, and then fade gradually all the while providing practical and emotional support to families and the child/adult with ASD.
- Must have the ability to physically support children, youth and adults with Autism Spectrum Disorder.
- Must have the ability to complete the NVCI certification as well as perform the required physical techniques; training will be provided.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- A valid Driver’s License, with a minimum G2, a reliable vehicle and willingness to travel.
- French language skills will be considered an asset.
In addition to a competitive compensation package, we focus on health and wellness including fitness and family- focused benefits and work life balance.
Kerry’s Place is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to diversity and inclusivity in employment and welcomes applications from all qualified persons. Kerry’s Place is also committed to providing accommodations for persons with disabilities. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.
- Internal applicants – Please apply through ADP. Log in and go to Myself > Talent > Career Centre
- External applicants – Click here to apply
This position is open to Internal and External applicants. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
We thank all applicants for your interest in Kerry’s Place Autism Services.