- This event has passed.
Children’s Friendship Training – Social Skills Group
July 12 @ 6:00pm - 8:00pm
Children’s Friendship Training is a 10-week evidence-based social skills intervention for children ages 9-12. The focus of the group is to teach children ecologically valid social skills that will help them make and keep friends.
During the course of this 10 week program, children will learn:
- rules for talking to someone else
- how to use appropriate conversational skills
- how to make phone calls to friends
- how to join a group
- rules for being a good sport
- rules for being a good host
- how to handle rejection and teasing
- how to show respect towards adults
During each Children’s Friendship Training session, there will be a facilitator-led parent group, which will run simultaneously to the children’s group. Parents will be taught how to assist their child in making and keeping friends, by providing feedback and coaching during weekly homework assignments. Snacks will be provided.
- Child and Parent attendance is required at each session.
- Schedule: Group runs from 6:00 – 8:00 pm. Every Thursday from July 12th – September 13th, 2018.
- Participant Age: Ages 10 – 13 (Grades 5-8).
- Region: Available to families living in Peel & Halton Region.
- Cost: $200
- Location: Kennedy Road Resource Centre, 6660 Kennedy Road, Unit 6, Mississauga, ON
- Diagnosis: ASD. Intake must be completed with Kerry’s Place Autism Services.
- Support Needs: This group is designed for individuals who are able to participate with minimal support. The individual may need some prompts to stay on task, and is able to communicate wants and needs effectively. The individual does not require a lot of behavioural redirection.
- Pre-Registration: Deadline to pre-register is June 24th, 2018.
Pre-registration does not guarantee a space in the Children’s Friendship Training group. Pre-screening will be conducted by Kerry’s Place staff to determine group participants. To be eligible, the child and parent/caregiver must successfully complete both a telephone and in-person interview.
To pre-register for the Children’s Friendship Training group, please email: CWRregistration@kerrysplace.org