- This event has passed.
PEERS® – Social Skills Group
May 16, 2018 @ 6:00pm - 8:00pm
PEERS® (Program for the Education and Enrichment of Relational Skills) is a 16-week evidence-based social skills intervention for socially motivated teens in grades 9-12 who are interested in learning skills to help them make and keep friends. During each group session teens are taught relevant social skills and are given the opportunity to practice these skills while in group.
During the course of this 16 week program, teens will learn how to:
- use appropriate conversational skills
- be a good host during get-togethers
- find common interests by trading information
- make phone calls to friends
- appropriately use humor
- choose appropriate friends
- enter and exit conversations between peers
- be a good sport
- handle rejection, teasing, and bullying
- handle arguments and disagreements
- handle rumors and gossip
- change a bad reputation
During each PEERS® session, there will be a facilitator-led parent group, which will run simultaneously to the teen group. Parents will be taught how to assist their teens in making and keeping friends, by providing feedback and coaching during weekly homework assignments. Snacks will be provided.
Teen and Parent attendance is required at each session.
- Schedule: Group runs from 6:00 – 8:00 pm every Wednesday from May 16th– August 29th, 2018
- Participant Age: Grades 9—12
- Region: Available to families living in Peel & Halton Region.
- Cost: $320
- Location: Kennedy Road Resource Centre, 6660 Kennedy Road, Unit 6, Mississauga, ON
- Diagnosis: ASD. Intake must be completed with Kerry’s Place Autism Services.
- Support Needs: This group is designed for individuals who are able to participate with minimal support. The individual may need some prompts to stay on task, and is able to communicate wants and needs effectively. The individual does not require a lot of behavioural redirection.
- Pre-Registration: Deadline to pre-register is Wednesday, March 28th, 2018
Pre-Registration does not guarantee a space in the PEERS® group. Pre-screening will be conducted by Kerry’s Place staff to determine group participants. To be eligible, the teen and parent(s) must successfully complete both a telephone and in-person interview.
To pre-register for the PEERS® group, please email: CWRregistration@kerrysplace.org