Kerry’s Place recognizes the importance of research in the field of Autism Spectrum Disorder.
Visit the Research Opportunities page to learn how you can participate in a research study.
The following guidelines have been created to address requests from researchers who are seeking participants for their projects through Kerry’s Place.
Applies to external research requests that involve both residential and community programs of Kerry’s Place.
Kerry’s Place Autism Services is in support of external research that:
- Aligns with our Mission, Vision and Values
- Furthers understanding of Autism Spectrum Disorder and best practices in supporting persons with Autism Spectrum Disorder, Intellectual Disabilities and co-morbid mental health diagnoses
- Fosters better understanding and best practices in supporting families of persons diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder
Criteria for the Evaluation of External Research Requests:
For an external research project to be considered for approval, the following criteria must be met:
- There is confirmation that the project has been reviewed and approved by a Research Ethics Board (copy of certificate required)
- The project is post-graduate work (minimum Master’s level)
- The applicant has forwarded a copy of the research proposal and literature review that was provided to the Research Ethics Board
- The Research Ethics Board must be academically based
- Details about what type of support is needed from Kerry’s Place Autism Services and why it is needed must be provided (e.g., the researcher is looking for subjects of a certain age to conduct a brief interview) must be included
- Information letter in layman’s terms regarding participation of subjects to be included
- Participation of subjects must be strictly voluntary and must not interfere with the rights of any participant
- A voluntary participant in a research project has the right to opt out at any time
- The research project may not disrupt the operation of any Kerry’s Place program (e.g., requiring staff time, direct support or administrative)
- Research projects/calls for participants may be posted on the Kerry’s Place website or on Resource Centre Information Bulletin Boards where interested parties may contact the researcher directly (Kerry’s Place will not disclose personal information about persons supported or families of persons supported to any researcher)
- There are appropriate consents in place regarding voluntary participation in the project, the sharing of information between the supported person/family member and researcher
- Kerry’s Place may request additional information from the researcher in the process of making a decision about the proposed research project
- The researcher agrees to provide Kerry’s Place with the research findings/recommendations that may be posted on the Kerry’s Place website
- The refusal to participate in a research project shall not interfere with the supported person’s current or future services with Kerry’s Place