POSITION POSTING # 1024
- SERVICE AREA: Residential Services
- LOCATION: Kerry’s Place East Region – Newmarket
- POSITION STATUS: Permanent Full-time with Benefits
- HOURS OF WORK: 37.5 hours per week (Days, Evenings, Weekends, Holidays; Flexibility required)
- HOURLY PAY RATE: $18.62 – $23.26 per hour
CLOSING DATE: 4:30pm, June 28, 2019
POSITION SUMMARY: Reporting to the Manager, the Autism Support Associate is responsible to take the lead to ensure that the day to day support provided to people diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder meet the expectations of those persons supported to enhance his/her quality of life. The support provided must also align with the values of Kerry’s Place Autism Services and meet the goals and expectations of the agency. The Autism Support Associate, as the liaison, leads the team to provide service aimed at maximizing health and safety and personal fulfillment of people diagnosed with ASD.
- Be familiar with and consistently apply the principles of Kerry’s Place Autism Services: Mission, Vision, Values, Policies and Procedures.
- Demonstrate a strong work ethic and act according to Kerry’s Place Autism Services Performance Standards, demonstrating respect for all people.
- Use creativity and resourcefulness to ensure that the quality of life principles are effectively applied for the people you provide support to. Every effort must be made to enhance and maintain the person’s dignity and respect.
- Provide solutions to barriers impacting achievement of quality of life.
- Act as the primary liaison with: family, medical, educational, leisure and recreational contacts.
- Provide leadership and coaching to other employees to continuously improve the quality of service and the work environment.
- Ensure Person Centered Planning is effectively implemented and individual’s goals are being realized in a timely way.
- Provide appropriate supports to ensure the health and safety of the people supported and ensure compliance to Policies and Procedures associated with Health and Safety and Abuse Prevention.
- Ensure that, where appropriate, Behavioural and Crisis Protocols are documented and consistently practiced. Identify when the support of appropriate professionals are required and enlist these supports. Document and report Incidents and Serious Occurrences immediately.
- Provide support and coaching in the areas of: social skills, communication, vocation and leisure activities.
- Provide leadership in identifying & achieving Personal Outcomes as defined by each
- Provide appropriate supports to ensure people supported by Kerry’s Place Autism Services have the knowledge & ability to exercise rights.
- Ensure the work area is clean and safe; correct or report any safety concerns immediately. Document and report Accidents, Injuries and Near misses immediately.
- Use Kerry’s Place Autism Services resources in a cost effective and efficient manner.
- Ensure accuracy and timely completion of documentation required through legislation and policy and procedures such as: individual’s files, health records, Person Centered Plans, data collection, etc.
- Ensure appropriate confidentiality is maintained for persons supported, families and other employees.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with: families, natural supports, volunteers, professionals, community members and other people you interact with in the course of your work.
- Attend and participate in meetings as directed by your Manager or Residential coordinator such as: team meetings, family meetings, etc.
- On an ongoing basis, ensure your mandatory training requirements are met and attend any training and development sessions as directed by your Manager or Residential Coordinator.
- Administer medication according to Kerry’s Place Autism Services Policy and Procedure. Understand the purpose of each medication, the expected effects and maintain vigilance for the potential side effects.
- The Autism Support Associate may from time to time be called upon by the Manager or Residential Coordinator to perform other duties.
The successful candidate will possess the following qualifications:
Education and Experience:
- Completion of a Human Services Diploma from a recognized Community College or University or a Personal Support Worker certificate from a Community College or from a registered and Ministry approved Private Career College and 1 year of experience of related experience (preferably supporting people diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder); or
- Completion of Ontario Secondary School (or equivalent) and 5 years of related experience (preferably supporting people diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder).
- Solid understanding of Autism Spectrum Disorder and the unique support requirements of people with this diagnosis.
- Person Centered Planning and Personal Outcomes.
- First Aid and CPR
- Medication Administration
- Nonviolent Crisis Intervention (NVCI) certification from the Crisis Prevention Institute (CPI) and the ability to perform physical techniques
- Solid communication skills both oral and written.
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to work in a team.
- Familiarity with applicable legislation and regulations.
- Working knowledge of computers and software such as: Microsoft Office, Email and the Internet.
- Demonstrated flexibility, creativity and sound judgment.
- Self-motivated and demonstrated ability to motivate others.
- Must have the ability to physically support children, youth and adults with Autism Spectrum Disorder.
- Must have the ability to complete the NVCI certification as well as perform the required physical techniques. Training will be provided.
In addition to a competitive compensation package, we focus on health and wellness including fitness and family- focused benefits and work life balance.
Kerry’s Place is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to diversity and inclusivity in employment and welcomes applications from all qualified persons. Kerry’s Place is also committed to providing accommodations for persons with disabilities. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.
- Internal applicants – Please apply through ADP. Log in and go to Myself > Talent > Career Centre
- External applicants – Click here to apply
This position is open to Internal and External applicants. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
We thank all applicants for your interest in Kerry’s Place Autism Services.