This workshop will explore the ways in which persons with Autism Spectrum Disorder receive and relay information, through spoken language, augmentative communication systems, gestures, and visual supports.
An overview of augmentative communication systems will be reviewed.
- Recommended Prerequisite: Introduction to Autism Spectrum Disorder, Learning Styles and Teaching Strategies
- Workshop Duration: 6 hours
As a result of participating in this workshop, participants will be able to:
- define receptive communication
- describe factors that may influence receptive communication skills
- provide examples of visual supports in enhancing comprehension and when you would use them
- describe the difference between expressive and receptive communication
- define functional communication
- identify strategies for improving communication
- recognize the importance of collaborating with a Speech Language Pathologist